Date: Tuesday 20 April 2021
Time: 1200 New Zealand Time
Registration fees: Free
Topic: NZ Asian Lawyers and the New Zealand Law Society working together in the future.
Arti Chand is the Vice President (Wellington) of the New Zealand Law Society and has had a long involvement with the Wellington Branch of the New Zealand Law Society, most recently as their Vice President.
She is an experienced tax lawyer who set up her sole practice, Arti Chand Tax Law, in 2015 after more than a decade in the private sector. She provides domestic and international tax consulting advice to SMEs, not for profits, law firms and high net worth individuals.
In addition, Arti is:
- An executive committee member of the New Zealand Fiji Business Council; and
- The 2018 Winner of the Pasifika Woman Business Owner Award (Pasifika Business Network).
Arti is of Fijian-Indian descent and grew up in Fiji. She is a strong advocate of celebrating the success of Pacific people and businesses in New Zealand.
Arti will speak about the ways in which NZ Asian Lawyers and the Law Society can work together in the future, including:
- Encouraging members of NZ Asian Lawyers and lawyers of Asian ethnicity (who are not members), to be actively involved in the Law Society, for example through applying to be a volunteer on branch and section committees, standards and practice approval committees and law reform committees;
- Encouraging consideration of the judiciary as a career pathway;
- Promoting training sessions in advocacy and legal writing;
- Sharing the issues and challenges faced by the Asian community with the wider profession, so that they can better understand their Asian colleagues and Asian clients; and
- Collaborating with the New Zealand Law Society to assist members of the public who are not proficient in English to understand the complaints processes.
Register for Arti Chand’s session here.